Fertilizers or nutrients are necessary to make weed plants grow faster.
As sometimes the basic soil and water are not enough for the plants to get what they need.
Though before putting out anything in your garden, you have to do detailed research, which might take some time.
However, as you are here, you don’t need to go anywhere as we have brought here the top 5 fertilizers that expert growers use.
So, let’s get started:
- 1 What is fertilizer or nutrient?
- 2 Which is best: Organic fertilizer or Chemical fertilizer?
- 3 Top 7 Best Fertilizers for Weed Plants [No.1 is Overall Best]
- 4 How to make your own weed fertilizer at home? [In Simple Steps]
- 5 Go, make your plants happy!
What is fertilizer or nutrient?
Cannabis or any plant requires some growth nutrients to grow apart from water, air, and light. Depending upon the conditions in which you grow the plants, sometimes you need to put external nutrients to help your plants grow effectively.
Because if your plants will grow healthier only then you can expect a decent yield later on.
Apart from all of that, chemical fertilizer is quite enriched in some growth components (Potassium, Calcium, Sodium, etc). Even nowadays growers opt for a specific nutrient-based fertilizer depending upon the deficiency in the plant.
Overall, you have a lot of options available in the market when it comes to buying fertilizer or nutrients for your weed plant.
Which is best: Organic fertilizer or Chemical fertilizer?
Though you got a lot of options to choose from still people are mostly confused between opting for the natural way or chemical way to help their plants grow faster.
Well, to be honest, the natural way is always a better option as there is a quite low risk of harm to your plant (just in case if there’s any). Also, for the beginner cultivators out there it is always a go-to option when you don’t know much about the fertilizers.
On the other side, chemical fertilizers sometimes do not suit specific marijuana strains and hence they negatively affect the growth of the plants. (in rare cases)
However, that doesn’t mean chemical fertilizers are not good at all. Even they can boost the growth of weed plants instantly if you do things right. Here doing the things right means that you have to be aware of what exactly your plant needs.
Sometimes, it is only a slight burn which you might confuse with a nutrient deficiency. Then putting extra fertilizer causes more issues. So, this should be avoided completely.
Although as you get experience in weed gardening, you get to know that chemical and organic fertilizers both have their own pros and cons.
It depends upon certain conditions and your plant, that is what it actually needs. Sometimes, organic options do the job better while chemical fertilizers help sometimes to achieve faster growth.
Therefore, overall, if we summarize then we get to know that you have to take the decision which way of providing nutrients will better suit your garden. As both organic and chemical fertilizers are made for the betterment of plant health and boost their growth.
Read why farmers are promoting replace chemical fertilizer with organic fertilizer.
Top 7 Best Fertilizers for Weed Plants [No.1 is Overall Best]
Enough for the theories, now move ahead to the best fertilizers available in the market.
Marijuana Fertilizer by ILGM
Although we believe in natural fertilizers, however, this is something that has actually impressed us and made a place in the top list of marijuana fertilizers.
As it contains all the nutrients that you might need from seedling to harvest.
It is suitable for multiple grow mediums like hydroponics, soil, and other mediums as well.
The best part of using Marijuana fertilizer from ILGM is that it consists of so many nutrients that you can make up to 5 plants happy!
- One of the best marijuana fertilizers in the market.
- Recommended by experts.
- Suitable for multiple grow mediums.
- Highly enriched in nutrients.
- Can be used for up to 5 weed plants.
- No harmful effect on the plants.
- Easy to use.
- You have to spend a few bucks, unlike natural options. Otherwise, it doesn’t have any con at all.
How to use:
- It is ready to use fertilizer and therefore, you don’t have to do anything extra. Although just make sure if your plant has any nutrient deficiency before using this fertilizer. You can also check out the guide over the website here!
Perlite is sourced from volcanic glass. As it comes from volcanic sources, therefore, it is quite enriched in calcium, potassium, and magnesium.
Perlite helps the soil to gain aeration and therefore, also improves the absorption of other fertilizers as well (if added). When this natural fertilizer is added to the plant, it improves the gain of oxygen in the roots resulting in better overall growth.
Moreover, perlite consists of water as well which is in trapped form due to lava rapidly cooling and solidifying.
Although it is also better in draining water and nutrients completely, therefore, perlite becomes overall the best natural fertilizer that you can use right now in your weed plant.
- With perlite, aeration of soil is better.
- It helps the roots of the plant to fetch water and nutrients effectively.
- Enriched in potassium, calcium, and magnesium.
- Suitable for the most of grow mediums.
- Helps the plant to grow faster.
- Overuse might lead to quick dryness of the soil.
Perlite is a natural fertilizer that has components of volcanic nutrients therefore, it might dry out the soil faster. However, it ultimately benefits your plant to fetch the nutrients in a quite better way. Also, the nutrients it is enriched in, helps the plant to grow faster.
How to use:
- Mix an equal quantity of perlite with compost and peat moss.
- Now, fill the pots up to the ¾th part with the mixture.
- Plant your seedlings. Pat on the surface appropriately.
- For ground medium, you can also use a mixture on the top of the garden area.
- Now, observe the plant’s growth and let them grow bigger.
Vermiculite is one of the most commonly used fertilizers among weed growers.
Basically, vermiculite is made of hydrated laminar minerals (magnesium, aluminum, iron silicates) which is quite similar to mica. Horticultural vermiculite is when heated then expands into shaped pellets. It is a natural way to boost the growth of weed plants.
As it makes the soil more aerated making oxygen reaches the plant roots easily. Even moreover, vermiculite helps your soil to release the additional fertilizer quite rapidly because it was already aerated due to vermiculite.
Overall, for natural nutrient seekers, vermiculite is one of the best options. Apart from all of this, if you are gardening in dry soil or soil which usually dries faster then putting vermiculite can be an ideal solution.
As it is quite hydrated and can absorb more water to keep the growing medium moist.
- It keeps the soil moist.
- Absorbs more water and can help fertilizers to be released easily in the roots.
- Retains moisture for a longer time in soil.
- Ideal for providing nutrients like magnesium, aluminum, calcium, and potassium to your plant.
- Natural way to enhance plant health.
- Overuse can lead to bud rot as it tends to keep the soil moist.
Overall, Vermiculite is best for beginner cultivators and for those who want to play a safe game! This is an ideal solution for dry areas as vermiculite has a feature to keep the soil moist for a longer time.
How to use:
- The concentration of vermiculite with soil should be ¼ of soil. That means 25% vermiculite and 75% soil. Mix them properly.
- Keep a pot ready with apt holes for drainage. Also, keep the seedlings aside.
- Now, place the mixture of soil and vermiculite in the pot but don’t fill it.
- Dig enough big holes to hold the seedlings.
- Put the seedlings and cover them with more soil. Water the seedling until water doesn’t come from the drainage hole.
If you love nature, probably you are going to love this natural fertilizer – wood ash!
However, it is widely used by the pro gardeners that grow vegetables, fruits, herbs, and other plants as well. Though it is one of the best natural fertilizers for weed plants too.
Because it is enriched with minerals like potassium, calcium, etc. and, the best part is that you don’t have to work hard to find it. You can even use the ash after burned firewood from the fireplace.
Well, different wood ash contains different minerals and therefore, you have to keep that in mind while using this natural fertilizer.
- One of the best natural fertilizers.
- Easy to get, free of cost.
- Easy to use.
- You can also use it with the compost pile.
- Enrich in potassium and calcium components.
- Overuse can lead to the high amount of release of potassium and calcium which can affect the absorption of other nutrients as well.
In a nutshell, wood ash is an ideal fertilizer for lazy people!
As you don’t have to go anywhere to find it out. You can get it from the fireplace of your home. Easiness of usage – just scatters a thin layer over the soil.
Apart from all of this, Wood Ash is one of the natural fertilizers which helps the weed plants to grow in a better way.
How to use:
- Gather the wood ash. Remove the unwanted things from the ash.
- You can start initially with a small amount of scattering over plants.
- That’s it! you can use a cup of wood ash for making compost as well.
- Don’t overuse wood ash. As if it gets wet then it can create too much salt which will be harmful to the growth of your plant.
Yes! Fish meal is also a natural and better way to enhance the growth of weed plants.
Fish meal exactly refers to the parts of fish which usually are not eaten such as bones, head, fins, and some other parts as well. When you grind these parts to make a fine material then it becomes the fish meal which can be added to the soil to enhance its efficiency.
When added to soil, it increases the absorption efficiency of the soil. That means the soil can better absorb the nutrients with the help of fish meal. This natural fertilizer also helps boost the growth and productivity of your plant as it is enriched in nitrogen nutrients.
- Enhances soil’s nutrient absorption.
- Also works as a soil conditioner.
- Helps to improve the growth of weed plants.
- Nitrogen enriched.
- Easy availability.
- Nitrogen enriched fertilizers are used mostly in the vegetative phase; hence it is a fertilizer for the specific growth phase.
The best part of fish meal fertilizer is that you can make it on your own if you have some hard grinders available. Though overall fish meal helps in plant’s overall growth along with enhancement in soil’s efficiency to absorb the nutrients.
How to use:
- Condition your soil before growing. You can also refer to the package instructions if you are buying from other resources.
- Make a mixture by mixing fish meal with the soil and let the soil sit.
- Now, sow your seeds and let them grow like a tree.
Worm casting is another great option if you are in search of natural weed fertilizer.
Basically, worm casting is the earthworm’s poop! Yes! You have read it right.
Worm casting is the material that comes after the digestion of soil or organic components from the earthworm’s body. However, it is quite enriched in nutrients. Still, it is not used directly in the soil rather used with compost teas which are enriched in worm castings and other nutrients as well.
- 100% natural fertilizer.
- Consists of lots of nutrients.
- One of the common ingredients in marijuana fertilizer products.
- You cannot apply this fertilizer directly to the soil. As the taste of weed bud can be similar to the earthworm poop.
Earthworms are referred to as farmer’s friends! And, that is why worm castings are used in many marijuana fertilizers. However, if you want to opt for the natural way then you can use worm castings with other components to get enhanced results from your garden.
How to use:
- Take around a 5-gallon bucket. Fill it with tap water. Give it a day to let the chlorine evaporate.
- Add compost catalyst in it. Usually consists of worm castings and some other organic components.
- Now, place the compost in a wire-mesh container to let it float. You can also use a piece of cheesecloth or old stockings.
- After that, install an air pump to stimulate bacteria and fungi to initialize the compost making.
- Making foam is a good sign. That means bacteria and other components are now creating a brew.
- After completion, now, you can apply to your plants.
Bat Guano is basically bat’s poop and it’s quite enriched in nutrients. It is an organic fertilizer that is used for different plants in the garden. Like vegetables, ornamental plants, fruit-bearing trees, and more.
Guano helps the soil retain water and nutrients. Also, it helps the plant to grow in a better way.
It is one of the effective ways to increase the plant’s growth. Thanks to the bat guano’s long-lasting effects on the plant.
Although it is quite expensive.
- Quite enriched in nutrients for the plants.
- Long-lasting effects.
- Has anti-bacterial and anti-fungi properties.
- Boosts plant growth.
- A quite common component in high-quality marijuana fertilizers.
- Making compost tea is not easy.
- Expensive natural fertilizer.
Although it is an expensive natural fertilizer, however, one-time investment can give you high returns. This fertilizer has effects on the plants for a longer time. That means you don’t need to think about the plant growth nutrients again and again unlike other fertilizers.
How to use:
You can use Bat Guano with other fertilizers as well.
- First of all, mix the appropriate amount of fertilizer with bat guano and water.
- You can use a sprayer or watering can prepare your fertilizer.
- Now, it is ready to be applied. You can apply it to your plants as you water them.
- Observe the plant growth.
Apart from this way, if you want to make compost tea then you need to follow these steps:
- Fill around 5-gallon of the bucket with tap water and remove the chlorine by keeping the bucket uncovered for at least one day. This step is necessary as chlorine kills microbes.
- Now, add the compost catalyst in water, mainly bat guano and other organic compounds. (if any)
- After this, place the compost in a wire-mesh container to let it float. You can also use a piece of cheesecloth or an old stocking. Now, let this mesh container float in the bucket with water.
- Install an air pump. This will add air to the bottom of the bucket stimulating the bacteria and fungi to multiply and start the compost.
- Observe if you can see foam over the top of the bucket. It is an indicator that microorganisms are creating a brew.
- Now, after preparing it, apply the compost tea to your plants as you water them. You can do this early in the morning when the sun is not yet too hot.
How to make your own weed fertilizer at home? [In Simple Steps]
If you love DIY things then you are going to love this guide. As there are many ways by which growers usually make their own fertilizers for their cannabis plants.
And, you can also make it on your own!
Within a few steps.
However, before we head to the step-by-step guide, the fertilizer we are going to make is the FFJ or FPJ (Fermented Fruit Juice/Fermented Plant Juice). You can choose either of them as per convenience.
Although for creating FPJ (Fermented Plant Juice), gardeners prefer nutrient-dense plants such as aloe vera, horsetail, thistle, mugwort, yarrow, and comfrey. For FFJ (Fermented Fruit Juice) you can use tomatoes, berries, cantaloupe melons, apricots, and sweet peppers.
Basically, FFJ or FPJ is made with fruits or plants respectively. This is one of the best ways to provide nutrients to your plants in a 100% organic and natural way.
Now, let’s find out how you can make it to your home:
Step 1. Chop your plant in smaller pieces or peel and cube the fruits if you are opting fruit option. Don’t wash the plants or fruits if you are using them from your garden. As they have beneficial bacteria that enhance the fermentation process.
Step 2. Weigh your chopped plants or fruits. Then put them into a large glass jar or container. Then add an equal amount of brown sugar in that. After this, mash up the plant material with a large spoon or anything else. You have to mix until the sugar didn’t distribute all over the material.
Step 3. Cover the opening of the container with a piece of cheesecloth. You can also use an elastic band to tighten the grip. Carbon dioxide will easily escape through the small holes that are created by the fermentation process. Now, store the mixture in a cool and dark place for 7 to 14 days.
Step 4. After that, strain the mixture through a fine sieve and you can pour it into the bottles for storage. Further, keep them in your fridge until you use them.
Step 5. Hurray! Now, you have created 100% natural fertilizer at your home for the weed plants. You can use four tablespoons of mixture in about 3.5 liters of water to use as a foliar spray or use for watering.
Go, make your plants happy!
Fertilizer is an essential part of gardening. Either it is about weed plants or any other plant, you have to feed them the nutrients that can help them grow.
Finally, now, you are aware of the top and best cannabis fertilizers that can make you achieve the highest possibility in your garden.
Now, it is your turn, go and make your garden happy!